We are one of the largest stockists of reclaimed railway sleepers in the UK. Our 2.6m reclaimed railway sleeper is perfect for flower bed edgings, bases and bridges. You can create garden steps and soil retention structures - but we would not recommend them for use if growing vegetables or other edible crops.
These products are heavy so let AVS deliver to your kerbside, be aware you will need at least two of you to carry a sleeper when you set out on your project. Many of our branches have the ability to cut sleepers to size, please enquire at your local branch.
* Please note - these are reclaimed sleepers, therefore all sizes are approximate.
- use gloves when handling
- beware of embedded nails or bolts
- for inspiration on the many uses for sleepers, read our article on How to use Sleepers in Your Garden
- read our article on How to Build a Sleeper Retaining Wall
- for instructions on building a raised bed read our article on How to Build a Raised Sleeper Bed, or take a look at our range of Sleeper Raised Bed Kits
As reclaimed sleepers have been treated with creosote in the past they are only suitable for certain uses in the garden:
- do not use for raised beds or structures where vegetables or other edible crops are being grown
- do not use indoors
- do not use for applications where the sleepers are in frequent skin contact - for example benches or even steps that may be walked on in bare feet
- do not use for children's play areas or equipment